VPN has become a common feature in the smartphone nowadays with almost every brand trying to add this facility in its devices. Evidently, being a reputed cellphone firm, Nokia too didn’t waste much time to incorporate the VPN facility in its Symbian OS backed smartphone ranges.
However it gets a stiff competition from its rivals of the likes of Apple, Blackberry, Samsung and more; may the best prevails. Cutting short our discussion, let us come to point, that is to setup VPN in Nokia mobile phones.
To get detailed info about configuring VPN on Nokia phones, you can browse through its official website or can simply google it out. Alternatively, you can also count on us to know the process, chances are brighter that it will work. So here we go!
The step-by-step guide below would help you to set up and configure VPN on your Nokia Mobile. But prior to moving ahead, be sure that your Nokia smartphone is backed by Symbian Anna Software and Symbain OS.
The VPN client for the process would be Nokia VPN client 4.3 that uses standard protocols and hence is compatible with the VPN gateways that are IPSec/IKE compliant. You can download it from Nokia Store. To check if your mobile phone can be configured for VPN, you can refer to this link.
For Nokia mVPN client to function properly, the requirements include:
- A Nokia Device perfectly compatible with the client
- VPN gateway that could be used on the Nokia VPN Client
- VPN Policy file
Additionally, you should have the below mentioned information from your VPN provider or from your IT manager (if you are using it in your office):
- IP address of host name of the VPN gateway
- Pre-shared Key/Secret or Group Password
- Group Name
Nokia Configuration Tool (NCT) is the best to configure Nokia Mobile VPN Client, you can download it from its official website.
Additionally, you will require My_mVPN_config.vpn that you can get from this link in the form of ZIP file, which also contains the detailed VPN setup guide in PDF form.
1. Open NCT workspace and from the menu bar select Tools-> VPN Configuration
2. In the VPN Configuration window, click the second button on the bottom right side to load the My_mVPN_config.vpn file
3. In the resulting window, change the Policy name if you want or let it be with its default name
4. Add Group Name or Identity value or leave it empty
5. Click Preshared Key tab and add a) VPN gateway Address, b) Key (below the tab menu)
6. Next, move to ‘Proxy’ tab if you want to configure HTTP proxy settings, though it is optional. By default, Port 8080 is used
7. Click the last button at the bottom right to save the policy file on your computer with the name in *.vpn format and then transfer it to your Nokia phone through Bluetooth or any other medium to open it on your device through File Manager (By default it will remain My_mVPN_config.vpn).
8. If you want to send the VPN Policy file directly to the phone, without saving it on the hard disk, then click the second button from the right at the bottom of the VPN Configuration windows. It is directly connected to NCT. From thereon, you can open the file with the help of File Manager in your phone
9. Install the VPN policy you just transferred. For this, on your Nokia Smartphone screen, click Menu->Office->File Mgr->C:Phone Memory->Other-> My_mVPN_config.vpn and answer Yes to the request for installation of the VPN Policy file
10. Once again, make sure that the NokiamClient is installed on your device before you install the file with VPN policy
11. The Nokia Mobile VPN is now ready for use. To start using it, Select ‘Web‘ in the main menu of your device
12. Select Intranet that shows the VPN policy you just installed
13. In the next screen, key in the VPN Username and VPN Password as given by your VPN service provider
14. Start browsing through the internet in total anonymity
You can also see here the Top 10 Nokia VPN Providers list. Wish you a Happy and Private Internet Life !!
Latest posts by Bestvpnservice.com (Posts)