It would also be worthwhile to begin this feature with a list of best VPN connections that could help you keep totally secure over the internet yet allowing you to perform all the browsing activities without hassles.
What is WiFi
It is a pretty popular and widely used technology that allows you to connect multiple electronic devices to the same internet network in a wireless state. To establish wifi connection, you just need to switch on the modem and provide the network password or key on your respective devices.
Pre-Requisites for WiFi VPN
Some obvious things that you would require to use VPN over Wifi include:
• Computer or laptop with Windows 7 operating system
• A persistent internet connection
• Last but not the least – Presence of mind
How to Convert Laptop in to Wifi VPN Router
To share VPN connection via Wifi, converting laptop in to WiFi VPN router would be an ideal initiative. To execute this purpose, you need to follow the below mentioned procedure step-by-step. So let’s begin.
1. Click start button on your laptop’s screen at the left bottom. 2. Type “cmd” in the search box. 3. In the resulting list, right click “cmd”, and then click “Run As Administrator”. 4. Type the password or provide confirmation in case you are asked for the Administrator authentication. 5. The Black Command Prompt window will appear next; type netsh wlan show drivers. 6. Look out for“Hosted Network Supported” on the screen and check of ‘Yes’ is written against it to confirm that the driver is installed. 7. If it is ‘No’ then you will have to download the necessary drivers depending on whether yours is 32-Bit or 64-Bit windows OS. 8. Once you are rest assured of the installation of proper driver, it now time to move ahead with the set up process. 9. In the command prompt, type netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=test key=password (You can change the key as per your wish, by default it has been set as “password”) 10. Again, in the command prompt, type netsh wlan start hostednetwork. If a message flashes next that says “hosted network couldn’t be started”, then you have outdated Wifi driver. You need to update it before moving ahead, and for that, you can either download the latest version of the Wifi driver from Windows website or alternatively, can run Windows update. 11. After downloading the necessary driver, come back to command prompt and,type netsh wlan start hostednetwork. Hopefully, this time will you be greeted by the confirmation message, “The hosted network started”. You now come closer to your motive or running VPN over wireless. 12. The next step would be to assure that the hosted network is shared on public Wifi. 13. For this, click the Wifi signal icon in the system tray, on the right bottom of the screen. 14. Click Open Network and Sharing Center. 15. Click “Change adapter settings” on the left side in the resulting screen. 16. Click the VPN connection that you have created earlier and then right click the icon to navigate to its properties. 17. In the properties page, move to “sharing” tab and check “Allow other network users through….connection” option. 18. In the Home Network connection section, under the drop down menu, check the connection that says, Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter’/’Virtula AP’ or may be ‘Wireless Network Connection 2’. 19. Next, check “Allow Other Network User to…connection” option at bottom of the properties page. 20. Click OK and you done with the steps to share VPN on Wifi. You can now ask your colleagues to discover VPN over wireless on their devices. The VPN over Wifi will remain disabled by default whenever you restart the computer. To re-enable it you will be required to enter the following command on the command prompt: netsh wlan start hostednetwork
Best of luck! Wish you a prosperous, secure and shared wifi vpn experience.
Have a Happy, Secure and Shared Digital Life !! ——————————————– If this tutorial helped you, follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more of such updates. You can also see here the Top 10 VPN Services to use on Public WiFi.
Latest posts by Faisal Arshad (Posts)
- US Nuclear Regulatory Commission Hacked Thrice In Three Years - August 21, 2014
- How to Watch WWE Network Outside US via VPN - August 19, 2014
- Australian Prime Minister Approves Controversial Data Retention Law - August 16, 2014