You sure would be aware of the VPN and in most of the cases, should have used it to secure your identity over the web, but have you ever used your VPN over wireless network ortried to share VPN connection with your friends to enjoy music or a game together?
As they say, necessity is the mother of invention; I too came across similar situation when I had to use my VPN connection on multiple computers.
The obvious choice was WiFi but how to do it was a mystery until I figured out the right solution. Later on, I shared this solution with a number of our website visitors through emails and chats; this article also highlights the same thing in the simplest possible way.
But before moving ahead, let us know in brief about Wifi.
What is WiFi
It is a pretty popular and widely used technology that allows you to connect multiple electronic devices to the same internet network in a wireless state.
To establish wiki connection, you just need to switch on the modem and provide the network password or key on your respective devices.
Best Wi-Fi VPN Connection
It would also be worthwhile to know about best VPN connection that could help you keep totally secure over the internet yet allowing you to perform all the browsing activities without hassles.
Pre-Requisites for Wi-Fi VPN
Some obvious things that you would require to use VPN over Wifi include:
• Computer or laptop with Windows 7 operating system
• A persistent internet connection
• Last but not the least – Presence of mind
How to Convert Laptop in to Wifi VPN Router
To share VPN connection via Wifi, converting laptop in to WiFi VPN router would be an ideal initiative. To execute this purpose, you need to follow the below mentioned procedure step-by-step. So let’s begin.
1. Click start button on your laptop’s screen at the left bottom.
2. Type “cmd” in the search box.
3. In the resulting list, right click “cmd”, and then click “Run As Administrator”.
4. Type the password or provide confirmation in case you are asked for the Administrator authentication.
5. The Black Command Prompt window will appear next; type netsh wlan show drivers.
6. Look out for“Hosted Network Supported” on the screen and check of ‘Yes’ is written against it to confirm that the driver is installed.
7. If it is ‘No’ then you will have to download the necessary drivers depending on whether yours is 32-Bit or 64-Bit windows OS.
8. Once you are rest assured of the installation of proper driver, it now time to move ahead with the set up process.
9. In the command prompt, type netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=test key=password (You can change the key as per your wish, by default it has been set as “password”)
10. Again, in the command prompt, type netsh wlan start hostednetwork. If a message flashes next that says “hosted network couldn’t be started”, then you have outdated Wifi driver.
You need to update it before moving ahead, and for that, you can either download the latest version of the Wifi driver from Windows website or alternatively, can run Windows update.
11. After downloading the necessary driver, come back to command prompt and,type netsh wlan start hostednetwork. Hopefully, this time will you be greeted by the confirmation message, “The hosted network started”.
You now come more closer to your motive or running VPN over wireless.
12. The next step would be to assure that the hosted network is shared on public Wifi.
13. For this, click the Wifi signal icon in the system tray, on the right bottom of the screen.
14. Click Open Network and Sharing Center.
15. Click “Change adapter settings” on the left side in the resulting screen.
16. Click the VPN connection that you have created earlier and then right click the icon to navigate to its properties.
17. In the properties page, move to “sharing” tab and check “Allow other network users through….connection” option.
18. In the Home Network connection section, under the drop down menu, check the connection that says, Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter’/’Virtula AP’ or may be ‘Wireless Network Connection 2’.
19. Next, check “Allow Other Network User to…connection” option at bottom of the properties page.
20. Click OK and you done with the steps to share VPN on Wifi. You can now ask your colleagues to discover VPN over wireless on their devices.
The VPN over Wifi will remain disabled by default whenever you restart the computer. To re-enable it you will be required to enter the following command on the command prompt: netsh wlan start hostednetwork
Best of luck! Wish you a prosperous, secure and shared online experience.
Have a Happy, Secure and Shared Digital Life !!
You can also see here the Top 10 VPN Services to use on Public WiFi.
Latest posts by Mark (Posts)
- Best VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer Outside UK | Top 10 VPN - September 15, 2011
- Best Shared IP VPN | Top 10 Shared IP VPN Services - September 14, 2011
- Best VPN to Stream Hulu, iPlayer, Zattoo, iTV & 4OD - September 14, 2011