VPN protocols act as a powerful security guard for netizens by hiding their identity from the rest of the world.
Their (VPN) imperative role in keeping the unethical users out of your cyber world is no doubt commendable and this is the reason why they are preferred by the masses over any other censorship bypassing method.
We always strive to empower you with the latest information regarding to the world of internet and VPNs.
In the run, let us discuss about one of these widely used protocols, L2TP and know why is it preferred over the rests.
And yes, we will also have sneak peak over the availability of free L2TP VPN providers. So cheer up!
So what is L2TP?
An acronym for Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol, L2TP came into existence by associating the features of PPTP and Layer 2 Forwarding (L2F).
the destination server over a public network. As compared to PPTP VPN which assures data confidentiality, L2TP holds a slight edge since it promises much more advantageous features, such as:
- Data integrity:That prevents browsing data from modification and interception with the during its transmission from one point to another via L2TP.
- Data Authentication: Confirms that the data has really been sent by a genuine person and not by any intruder to spread malware in your network
- Replay Protection: Hampers the attempts of hackers to track the user data such as login credentials
- Data confidentiality: L2TP shares this feature along with PPTP. As the name suggests, the protocol keeps the data totally secure and confidential, only to be used by the intended owner and not any third party
- Diversified Usability: Can be leveraged on various non-IP networks as well that may include X.25, ATM and frame relay among others
Data Security with L2TP
- Same as PPTP, L2TP also depends on Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) for encryption and does not provide it on its own.
- PPP comes handy in performing user authentication and besides this, it also assures computer authentication that further makes way for an added security level.
- Furthermore, in order to provide strong authentication and confidentiality L2TP packers are often secured by using IPSec protocol and it is due to this reason that the combination of both these protocols is termed as L2TP/IPSec.
While there are so many positives of using L2TP there are some of its downsides as well, such as:
- It does not provide security on its own, as already discussed and relies on encryption protocols for ensuring security measure
- Its use is limited to only Windows versions, vis a vis, windows 2000, XP, and Vista
VPN with L2TP Protocol
Service providers in the field of Virtual Private Network are all geared up with latest and in-demand VPN protocols, including L2TP.
Known brands of the likes of Hidemyass, StrongVPN, IAPS, PureVPN and many more can offer you affordable VPN services based on L2TP protocol depending on your specific requirements and purpose of anonymity.
However, apart from this, to your amuse, there are several VPN providers that may also offer you L2TP VPN service free of cost.
Best Free L2TP Protocol
It is good to approach VPN providers that offer free L2TP services if you want the VPN for a short span.
Alternatively, the trick is also effective if you want to test several Providers for their performance so as to buy the best one.
Different companies offer trial L2TP VPN protocol services for few hours such as 3-hour, or 5-hour, 24-hour as well as for few days, such as 3-day, 5-day or 7-day trial versions.
You can opt any of them and go ahead with the registration process before availing their services free of cost for the stipulated period.
Some of the most talked about L2TP VPN service providers in this regard are listed below:
|1||ibVPN||2 Hours Free Trial|
|2||Gotrusted||7 Days Free Trial|
|5||USA IP VPN||Limited -Disconnects after every 7 Minutes|
|6||Cyberghost VPN||Basic Account is free|
|7||Unblock US||7 Days Trial|
|8||EtteGo VPN||4 Hours Trial Limited|
|9||VPN HQ||1 Month Free|
|10||Cactus VPN||Basic/Limited Free|
Latest posts by Faisal Arshad (Posts)
- Router Vulnerabilities Compromise Data Security of 300,000 Computers - March 6, 2014
- Torguard’s Smart DNS Unblocks Websites at Blazing Speeds - March 5, 2014
- Find the Best Logless VPNs for 2014 and Ensure Your Anonymity - March 5, 2014