Even though there are hundreds of VPN services for online security and privacy, you have only few options for ones that support DDWRT routers with the VPNs. The best VPN fit for your router is based on a number of factors, including your network speeds, DDWRT model, and internet connections and so on. Here is a list of the top 5 router VPNs you can avail with lowest possible costs.
|Exclusive 79% OFF||
$11.9$2.91 per month
$12.95$8.32 per month
$11.4$6.55 per month
The Need of VPN on DDWRT Router
A virtual private network, or just VPN, helps encrypt and secure your router against data theft, misuse and only fraud. A single DDWRT router VPN can protect internet traffic for all of the networked computers, thus saving you an enormous cost for internet security and privacy. Furthermore, a DDWRT router VPN will also redress individual IPs of each computer or device on the network, therefore helping you secure identities of computer on the World Wide Web. A VPN router can also help you to protect devices and machines even without a native VPN support, so you can secure your gadgets like Samsung TV or Xbox360. Hence, instead of making separate online security measures for each device on a DDWRT router, all you need is a single router VPN account that works just fine on almost all ISPs including DSL, PPPoE, Cable, and Verizon FiOS. The DDWRT router firmware also holds other benefits like capability to run your internet communication using IPv6, and, if it has built-in VPN client settings, convert router into Wifi Hotspot, and options for Quality of Service (QoS). With such striking advantages, DDWRT enabled routers are preferred by majority of VPN users. Wireless routers hold a central position for development of small networks, such as those in home or office buildings. DD-WRT or the firmware for wireless routers (WRTs) has made it easy for less tech-savvy users to adopt a do-it-yourself approach for installation and configuration of home networks. But even though the Linux based firmware is easily configurable, securing it with a VPN can be difficult. So in this blog, I will give step-by-step instructions to get VPN set on your DD-WRT router.
Which routers are supported with DD-WRT?
Before going on to tell how to get DD-WRT secured with VPN, it is important to determine whether your router is compatible with DD-WRT or not. Most commonly used wireless routers including Linksys, Cisco, D-Link, Verizon, Sitecom and TP-Link are DD-WRT compatible. Check out whether your router’s name appears in this compatibility list for DD-WRT
Setting Up VPN on DD-WRT: Step-by-Step Instructions
The following are the easy set up instructions for configuring a VPN on your DDWRT router. I have made used PPTP router settings to install VPN, mainly because PPTP is the easiest and most preferred protocol for DDWRT routers. You can also install DDWRT router VPN on other encryption protocols like OpenVPN.
- First, make sure that your router is flashed from your vendor’s website. You may get it flashed from DD-WRT Website using v24sp2 or higher version.
- Next, go to the control panel of your DDWRT account, click the VPN tab under ‘Services’ and hit ‘Enable’ on the option for radio button. This will turn on the support for PPTP VPN server.
- Now, you will find various options for PPTP VPN server configurations which you need to fill up in the manner below.
- Server IP: Enter IP address of your router.
- Client IP: Enter the Local IP addresses of the client computers or devices connected through the VPN.
- CHAP-Secrets: Fill in the Username and password to authenticate the VPN connection in the format, (user[space]*[space]password[space]). Each line should contain the entry of only one user.
- Once these entries are done, press the “Apply Settings” button to save the configuration on your DD-WRT router.
- Now connect all client computers and devices to your VPN. The process for Windows is given here.
- Go to control panel and navigate Network and Sharing Centre. Click the option “set up a new set up a new network connection or network”.
- In the window that opens, click on Connect to a Workplace and then choose Create a New Connection from the next screen.
- Next, hit “Use my internet connection” to choose the mode for your VPN. A screen will appear with the following fields: IP address/ domain name and connection name. Fill your IP address for DD-WRT router you configured just now and name the connection as per your choice.
- Write the username and password with which you originally configured your DDWRT router and hit ‘Connect’.
- Check the status of your VPN and internet connection by running the ‘ipconfig’ on your computer. If it shows your provider name along with DDWRT router information, you have successfully established PPTP VPN on your router.
Best DD-WRT VPN Routers
Here is a list of common DDWRT router VPNs you can have for 2014 and beyond. Some VPN providers like PureVPN also give combined packages for router and VPN. So do have a look on to them if you haven’t have a router as yet.
Conclusion and Recommendations
Having a VPN knotted to your DDWRT router ensures a good deal of safety from online hackers, identity thieves and cyber crooks. Further, a DDWRT router VPN also reduces your overall costs for network security by securing all connected devices with a single VPN account. A VPN router is a must-have if you are a frequent visitor to banking and online shopping sites because hackers can greatly carry out man-in-the-middle attacks via your router. Remember, an insecure router can lead to severe hack attacks, identity theft and can make your digital life miserable. Indeed, a recent hack incident in Poland affected hundreds of e-banking customers as their confidential information was stolen. The hackers carried a man-in-the-middle attack to intercept communication between home routers and banking websites. So make your life easier. Get a router VPN today!
Latest posts by Faisal Arshad (Posts)
Christmas VPN Discounts & New Year VPN Offers 2016
December 23, 2015
Myths And Facts: Buying Games For Cheaper Prices Using VPNs for Gaming
November 10, 2015
Fight The Lag: Get the Best Battlefield 4 VPN for Online Play
October 28, 2015