Ever seen a tunnel that makes its way through a mountain to connect the world at both of its sides? I am sure you would have definitely seen it, at least once in your lifetime while on a journey on rails. Now think of a VPN tunnel. Yes, you guessed it right! It also serves the very much similar purpose, i.e., creating a connection (of networks) between two separated or remote locations to transfer encrypted data.
What is VPN tunnel?
Going by the definition, tunneling is a technology that allows a network to transmit data through a connection that is established at some other network. It is this basic rule that guides the working of VPN and hence the name VPN tunnel comes into existence.
How VPN tunnel works?
To assure data integrity through VPN tunnel, the data packets are constructed in any of the widely used VPN protocols and are then encapsulated in a carrier protocol. After being transmitted to the intended server from the VPN client, they are de-encapsulated to obtain the data in its original form, without being doctored by any third party.
So what are these protocol types?
An array of cryptographic protocols can be used for VPN tunneling thereby assuring a secure communication over a private connection. Some of the most prominent ones include:
- Point-to-point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP): It makes way for a secure message transmission from VPN node to another. Windows provides specific built-in support for this protocol.
- Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP): It combines the features of Layer 2 Forwarding (L2F) and PPTP protocols, respectively. It assures data confidentiality and when used in sync with IPSec, it also provides data integrity, replay protection and data authenticity.
- Secure Shell Protocol (SSH): It comprises of a SSH tunnel that transfers unencrypted data over a secure network with the help of an encrypted channel.
- Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP): It is among the latest protocols to be used for traffic transmission from one end to other, bypassing the web proxies and firewalls. It uses HTTPS protocol and can prove to be worthwhile where protocols of the likes of PPTP and L2TP/IPSec fail to make a mark.
Best VPN Tunnel
There are various lesser-known and cheaper VPN providers that promise you eminent services with due support of all the known tunneling protocols. But to be on the safe side, it would be better if you stick with the vendors that own a respectable repute in the international circuit as far as the provision of VPN tunneling services is considered. Companies such as HideMyAss, StrongVPN, PureVPN, ExpressVPN, IAPS VPN, CyberGhost VPN, OverPlay and more are among the most widely used service providers in this context. With multiple servers and innumerable IP addresses to their credit, you can easily end up opting for the best VPN service that could maintain your secrecy over the internet. Alongside, they could also help you to access the blocked websites at your will, irrespective of your geographic location.
Best VPN Service
Below is the list of best VPN service providers that offer you exceptionally secure services with the help of prominent tunneling protocols.
|3||Private Internet Access||$6.45/month|
VPN tunnel helps to establish a secure network between the servers so as to make way for encrypted data transmission with the help of prominent tunneling protocols. Varied VPN service providers are in the fray that provide you with an IP address that could allow you to access the internet from your preferred location, you can choose the one that suits the best as per your preference and budget constraints.
You can also see here the all time Top 10 VPN Providers list.
Wish you a Happy and Private Internet Life !!
Latest posts by Allen (Posts)
- iCloud Siri VPN | A new phase of technology by Apple Inc. - April 18, 2012
- Free L2TP VPN - April 4, 2012
- UK Government all Set to Track its Citizens’ Online Activities - April 3, 2012